Sunday, September 21, 2008

Risotto on stand by

I became a big fan of risotto after learning how to
make it with italian rice. I learned the recipe from
José Hugo Celidônio's book, Histórias e Receitas
(Stories and Recipes).
Clarissa has already
written about the risotto's technique, so I am not
repeating it here. What I want to mention
is the tip he gives on how to stop the cooking,
just before the rice is ready.

When the rice is almost cooked, you add one more
cup of chicken broth and turn off the heat. You
may ask "How do I know when the rice is almost done?".
Well, you have to learn it by yourself, doing one
after another (I always taste it). The rice will
cook a bit more and absorb the liquid while it
seats waiting for your next move.

You should try shrimps! One pound of scrimps,
a hot pan with a little bit of olive oil, salt,
pepper... After frying the shrimps, lightly,
throw it into the rice under low heat.

Mussels and squid are great too. I have just
tried smoked salmon and it was delicious.
Don't forget to add one more spoon of butter
with the salmon.

1 comments:

LuAnn @ BackPorchervations said...

Huzzah! I found your English blog! All the food looked so good, and I have a smattering of Swiss, German, French and Russian, but I don't know Portuguese!